COORDINATE 013: BACK TO OUR ROOTS


Dress: Baby, the Stars Shine Bright (Shirring JSK, 2007 release in black/offwhite)
Blouse: Bodyline (L075 Shirring Blouse in black)
Headdress: Baby, the Stars Shine Bright (Rosaline Ribbon Headdress in black/offwhite)
Bag: Metamorphose (Swan Print Tote Bag in black/white)
Socks: Unknown
Shoes: An*tai*na (999A in black)
Parasol: Offbrand, via Ebay


Keeping the old school train rolling. Worn to an outdoor art fair, July 2018. Hello, humidity. Should have taken outfit pictures before rather than after so my hair wasn’t all frizzy. Best part of the day: a younger guy at the fair tapped me on the shoulder while he was passing by to tell me he loved my outfit and that I was “slaying it”. He was really kind about it. First not weird or creepy interaction I have had with a random dude about my clothes. Feels good man. :D

Once I stopped trying to coordinate this dress with white blouses I liked it a lot better – the black blouse lets all the lace around the top and straps shine and then you don’t have to match the whites carefully or risk having the lace look yellowed or dirty when it isn’t. I still love striped socks and especially this pair. I bought these somewhere on Takeshita Street in 2006 during my very first visit to Tokyo. I haven’t worn them much since then but have held onto them because the quality is outstanding! They’re made of synthetic fiber but they’re really thick (you can’t see my legs through the white stripes) and stretchy and don’t pill easily.

This headdress came with another dress I bought and it took some hunting to find its name. I probably missed it the previous time I tried to look it up because I didn’t realize it originally came with detachable roses, and this one didn’t have any. When searching solid colored pieces that could potentially have lots of similar releases, lace designs are key!

I am also in love with the beautiful simplicity of the parasol. The amount of not-brand parasols with cheap ugly lace on them is too damn high. I finally found one that had fabric ruffles on it instead, and a pagoda top to boot, delivered to my door for $35. It’s not the folding kind so I think it will last a while as long as I don’t take it out on a super windy day. It got rained on the day the worn photos were taken and worked wonderfully. I desperately want more rocking horse shoes. I decided I love how they make my legs look.

Comments